Some concealed carry holsters are better than others for sitting for long periods of time. When you’re carrying IWB, sitting applies different tensions and pressures than standing does, and you need the right setup to minimize discomfort.
Choosing the best concealed carry holster is an important decision. It's not just about being comfortable; it's about being able to draw your firearm quickly and easily in an emergency. However, for those who spend a lot of time sitting, such as truck drivers, office workers, or those with back problems, finding the right concealed carry holster can be difficult.
Let’s look at some of the best concealed carry gun holsters for sitting, so you can make an informed decision and stay comfortable and safe while carrying.
Our memory foam holster padding makes sitting a lot more comfortable.
How to Choose the Right Holster for Sitting
Sitting presents unique challenges for concealed carry because your body presses against your gun differently than when you're standing. Here are some of the factors to consider if you're sitting for hours at a time:
- Comfort. You don't want a holster that digs into your waist or thighs while you're seated. Look for a holster with an easy-to-move design. Also, our holster pads make all the difference.
- Retention. A decent holster should hold your firearm secure even when you're seated. Make certain that the holster you select has a dependable retention system that keeps your firearm securely in place at all times.
- Accessibility. When it comes to concealed carry, you must be able to quickly and readily draw your pistol. Look for a holster that allows you to draw your gun smoothly and quickly while seated.
- Concealment. The entire purpose of concealed carry is to keep your firearm out of sight. Ensure the holster you purchase is intended for concealed carry and can be hidden beneath your clothing.
- Adjustability. Everyone has a distinct body type and carry preference. Look for an adjustable holster so you may modify the fit to your body and carry style.
- Durability. Your holster will be subjected to wear and tear over time, therefore it must be able to endure this. Look for a holster constructed of high-quality materials and with a long track record of durability.
- Size. The size of your firearm will also influence the style of holster you select. Make certain that the holster you choose is built for your specific handgun model and is the appropriate size for your body.
How Clothing Affects Concealed Carry While Sitting
What you wear and how you wear it have an impact on concealed carry when sitting. If you're a concealed carry novice or advanced, now is a good time to consider what you'll wear when carrying and sitting. Let's go over several alternatives and how clothing impacts concealed carry.
- Belt. A strong belt is essential for any concealed carry arrangement, but it becomes much more important while you're seated. A well-designed belt distributes the weight of your pistol and holster, preventing discomfort and sagging while seated.
- Wear a longer coat. If you like to wear a coat, choose one with a longer length. This can aid with the concealment of your pistol and holster while also offering additional coverage and protection.
- Tuck in your shirt. Tucking your shirt into your pants can assist in keeping your firearm and holster secure and in place while you're seated, preventing it from slipping or sagging.
- Avoid low rise and tight pants. Low-rise and tight-fitting pants might make carrying a hidden handgun while sitting difficult. Choose pants with a higher height and a looser fit so you may move freely and easily access your firearm when needed.
How Gun Size Affects Concealed Carry Comfort While Sitting
If you are sitting for an extended period of time, gun size tends to be inversely correlated with comfort. Bigger guns are less comfortable, period.
Here are some key considerations to keep in mind when it comes to gun size and concealed carry comfort while sitting:
- Size and weight. Larger firearms are often heavier, which can cause discomfort and strain when carried for lengthy periods of time, especially while seated. They may also be more difficult to conceal, especially if you are wearing tight clothing or sitting in a cramped place.
- Concealment. The larger the firearm, the more difficult it may be to conceal, especially if you are sitting. If you are carrying a heavier firearm, you may need to select a holster with a higher profile or make adjustments to your clothing to guarantee optimal concealment.
- Draw. It may be more difficult to draw a larger pistol swiftly and smoothly while seated. This can be vital in a self-defense situation, so choose a firearm and holster that allow for quick and easy access.
- Personal preference. The size of your handgun is a matter of personal preference and comfort. What works for one person may not work for another, so select a handgun and holster that you are comfortable carrying while sitting.
Choose the optimal CCW gun for you, and then choose the best holster for that gun. Top it off by applying a GunZee holster pad. When sitting for long periods of time, your body will thank you.
This holster pad will be the end of your discomfort.
Now, let’s take a look at some of the best concealed carry holsters for sitting.
Alien Gear ShapeShift 4.0 IWB Holster
Alien Gear shapeShift 4.0 IWB holster.
Image source: https://aliengearholsters.com/alien-gear-shapeshift-appendix-carry-holster.html.html
The Alien Gear ShapeShift 4.0 IWB holster includes two belt clips for a firmer and more secure fit inside your waistband. This Alien Gear holster is model-specific, so get the version that fits your handgun.
You can customize the cant and ride height of the ShapeShift to your chosen carry position and comfort level, even while sitting. If you feel any discomfort when carrying, simply modify the position of the holster to obtain a comfortable fit.
The neoprene backing of the ShapeShift is soft and pleasant against your skin, while the KYDEX shell provides outstanding durability and retention.
- Adjustable retention, cant, and ride height
- KYDEX shell + neoprene pad
- Two belt clips
- Custom-molded to your model of firearm
- Wider footprint
Kenneth Ballard praises the ShapeShift on his blog.
Whether sitting in the driver’s seat or standing up at home, I’m able to holster and draw my firearm effortlessly…Given my experience over the last few months with the Alien Gear, I don’t think I can praise it enough. The comfort is about the same as with the Cloak Tuck 2.0 I previously used without the frustration of the belt clip hardware just coming loose. And it doesn’t collapse without your pistol, making holstering your pistol easy regardless of how you’re sitting or standing. Which looking back at the other holsters I’ve used, that is, again, how IWB holsters should be.
Blackhawk Serpa CQC
Blackhawk Serpa CQC
Image source: https://www.blackhawk.com/holsters/serpa-2/
The Blackhawk SERPA CQC Concealment Holster is a top-of-the-line option that offers excellent security and a smooth draw. The patented SERPA Auto-Lock system provides Level 2 retention, ensuring your firearm stays secure until you're ready to draw. The holster also allows for a rapid draw and solid re-holster thanks to its speed cut design.
The holster comes with both a belt loop and paddle platform, making it versatile and customizable to your needs. It’s compatible with various platforms, including shoulder, S.T.R.I.K.E.®, Quick Disconnect, and Tactical Holster Platforms.
To further enhance your firearm retention, the holster includes a passive retention adjustment screw. This feature allows you to adjust the retention to your liking, ensuring that your firearm stays securely in place until you're ready to draw.
- Patented SERPA Auto-Lock system provides excellent Level 2 retention
- Speed cut design allows for a rapid draw and solid re-holster
- Belt loop and paddle platform included for customizable use
- Passive retention detent adjustment screw allows for further firearm retention adjustment
- Some users have reported difficulty with the release mechanism
Whatever piece you’re packing, if you’re wearing it IWB, grab our holster pad, apply it, and thank us later!
Desantis Sof-Tuck 2.0
The Desantis Sof-Tuck 2.0 is made of leather with a polyurethane lining, offering durability and protection for your firearm.
The holster features a reinforced top lip that adds strength and aids in reholstering. This design element helps ensure that your firearm stays secure and that the holster maintains its shape even with repeated use.
One of the standout features of the Sof-Tuck 2.0 is the Tuckable 360 C-Clip. This clip allows for complete customization of your carry angle and ride height, ensuring that the holster contours to your exact preferences. This feature is particularly useful for those who want to conceal their firearm while still maintaining a comfortable carry.
- Durable leather with a polyurethane lining
- Reinforced top lip adds strength and aids in reholstering
- Tuckable 360 C-Clip allows for customizable carry angle and ride height
- Metal clip attachment
- Comfortable for extended wear
- Some users have reported discomfort due to the leather rubbing against their skin
This redditor successfully wears the Sof-Tuck while working in an office.
Galco KingTuk IWB
The Galco KingTuk's lined leather backplate design makes it comfortable against the body, while also creating a snug and secure fit. This design element ensures that your firearm stays in place and that the holster maintains its shape even with repeated use.
One of the standout features of the KingTuk is its unrivaled speed and versatility. The patented design includes a comfortable backing plate lined with Premium Center Cut Steerhide, a smooth leather front, and a rigid KYDEX holster pocket for a fast draw and easy holstering.
This IWB holster also boasts a unique clip design that is worn inside the waistband. The holster includes Galco's patent-pending polymer UniClip and Ultimate Stealth clip designs for excellent concealment, stability, and easy on-off capability.
- Soft and comfortable leather backing
- Durable KYDEX shell
- Adjustable metal belt clip
- Sweat guard
- Adjustable cant angle, ride height, and tension device
- Some users have reported that the clip is not as secure as they would like, which may cause the holster to shift during wear
One Amazon purchaser likes the KingTuk’s comfort for the most part but notes a minor issue with the upper leather portion “jabbing me in the side when I sit down.”
“My favorite IWB holster.” This redditor wears the KingTuk for long road trips “with no complaints.”
CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe
The CrossBreed SuperTuck Deluxe is hand-molded to fit specific firearms. It features a premium leather backing with a KYDEX pocket. It’s versatile, allowing you to wear it comfortably with or without your shirt tucked in, based on your personal carry style. It is designed to be carried towards the rear of your draw side—3:30 to 5 o'clock for a right-hand draw or 7 to 8:30 for a left-hand draw.
The SuperTuck Deluxe features SnapLok powder coated steel belt clips, which are modular and enable you to adjust the cant and ride height. It also offers two different leather choices, an optional combat cut, and additional clip choices, allowing for a personalized holster.
The SuperTuck Deluxe comes with a two-week, try it free guarantee and a lifetime warranty. If your holster ever fails from normal use, CrossBreed Holsters will make it right.
- Highly comfortable and concealable
- Hand-molded to fit each specific firearm listed
- Premium leather backing with a molded and mounted KYDEX pocket
- Versatile for carry options
- SnapLok powder-coated steel belt clips are modular and adjustable
- Optional combat cut and additional clip choices available
- Two-week, try it free guarantee and lifetime warranty
- Some users have reported that the leather backing is too thick, which can cause discomfort
This blog commenter is a fan.
Safariland 578 GLS Pro-Fit
The Safariland 578 GLS Pro-Fit features the innovative GLS (Grip Lock System) technology, which automatically secures the weapon when holstered and releases it upon application of the middle finger with a standard shooting grip. This ensures a more intuitive and safer release.
The holster body is made from a lightweight, state-of-the-art nylon blend that is non-abrasive to a gun's finish and can tolerate extreme high and low temperatures. The low-cut and compact design of the holster makes concealment easy while also allowing for a quick draw.
The GLS Pro-Fit is also optic-capable, making it a great choice for those who use red dots.
Some users have reported that the retention system can be difficult to use at first and that the paddle design can be uncomfortable for extended wear.
- GLS system secures weapon when holstered
- Designed to fit multiple weapons
- Optic capable
- Lightweight and non-abrasive material
- Low-cut and compact design for easy concealment
- Injection-molded paddle and belt loop are adjustable
- May require a break-in period
The Vedder LightTuck is a handcrafted, ultra-thin IWB KYDEX holster that boasts a precise fit for specific gun models. Its adjustable ride height feature and adjustable retention system provide maximum comfort and customization. The LightTuck's 30-degree adjustable cant allows for versatile carry positions, including the appendix, cross draw, and standard 3-5 o'clock positions.
Its reinforced shell ensures convenient one-handed reholstering, while its full sweat shield and sight channels provide added protection and accessibility. The LightTuck is available for both right and left-handed draws and is compatible with threaded barrels and suppressor sights. Users appreciate its tuckable, low-profile spring steel clip and the option to add the claw attachment for even better concealment.
- Handcrafted and ultra-thin for a precise fit and maximum comfort
- Adjustable ride height feature and retention system for customization
- 30-degree adjustable cant allows for versatile carry positions
- Reinforced shell ensures convenient one-handed reholstering
- Full sweat shield and sight channels provide added protection and accessibility
- Compatible with threaded barrels and suppressor sights
- Tuckable, low-profile spring steel clip and option to add claw attachment for better concealment
- Over 75 colors and patterns to choose from
- 30-day money-back guarantee and lifetime warranty
- Some users have reported that the clip may be too tight or too loose
This redditor likes the LightTuck for both standing and sitting.
This Amazon reviewer recommends the LightTuck for its comfort.
PHLster PRO Series
The PRO Series features an adjustable metal belt clip for a secure and customized fit on your waistband or belt. It also has an adjustable retention mechanism, which allows you to tailor the grip of the holster on your pistol for increased security.
The low profile design of the holster allows it to be concealed under clothing while still giving quick and easy access to your pistol when needed. Its tough construction and exact fit make it a good choice for long-term use, including sitting.
The PRO Series also comes with an optional concealing wing, which helps to bring your firearm's grip closer to your body, enhancing concealment and comfort while sitting or standing.
The PHLster Pro Holster is compatible with optics, suppressor sights, and threaded barrels. It is specifically designed for Gen5 9mm Glocks, as well as Glock (26-34), G43/43x/48 (MOS included), Sig P320 (all models except .45, SubCompact, and metal frames of any kind) and the Sig P365/XL.
- Comes with adjustable IWB loops and ModWing for reduced printing
- Compatible with optics, suppressor sights, threaded barrels, and certain Glock and Sig Sauer models
- Can be customized with additional accessories like Grip Hooks and Discreet Carry Concepts Monoblock Clip
- Handcrafted with high-quality materials
- Offers a comfortable and secure fit for concealed carry
- May be longer and wider than the muzzle of some guns, which can affect comfort and concealment for some users
This redditor recommends the PHLster Pro for sitting.
Best Concealed Carry Position While Sitting
Sitting is one of the most common situations we find ourselves in, and it can often create uncomfortable angles for concealed carry. While seated, you don't want your weapon digging into your side, but you still need it to be easily accessible and concealed. So here are some of the best carry positions that work well for sitting down.
- Appendix carry. Carrying your firearm in this posture requires you to carry it in the front of your waistband, just to the right or left of your navel. It's an excellent position for sitting carry since it keeps the gun near your body and is easy to reach. It's also a popular carry position since it provides good concealment and is comfortable to wear for long periods of time. Having a good appendix carry holster is an essential step for having a comfortable appendix carry. To make your holster even more comfortable, our holster pads are here to help.
- Strong side hip carry. Strong side hip carry has your pistol around 4 or 5 o'clock for righties and 7 or 8 o'clock for lefties. For larger persons, this carry method may be more comfortable than the appendix, and it is still conveniently accessible while standing or sitting. It's also a common carry position since it provides good concealment and keeps the gun securely against your body.
- 3/9 o’clock OWB carry. This position requires you to carry your firearm on your hip, either at 3 or 9 o'clock. This is a very easy position to draw from and allows for larger pistols. The main issue is that many people have difficulty concealing it. The size of the pistol, the size of the person holding it, and the clothing they wear all play a major role in this.
- Shoulder carry. It's a popular choice for sitting carry because it provides excellent accessibility and the gun is conveniently located. Shoulder holsters are also a fantastic choice for folks who have difficulties wearing a waistline holster owing to back discomfort or other medical concerns.
- Ankle carry. Compact guns can be carried in ankle holsters, which are very secure nowadays. It has traditionally been the preferred method of carry for a backup or second gun. Lots of police officers carry backup guns in this manner.
This redditor recommends the 12 to 12:15 position for AIWB sitting.
Another redditor recommends wearing one's pants higher than normal for a comfortable seated AIWB experience.
Best Holster for Sitting in a Car
If you spend much time driving while carrying IWB, you’ll know the importance of a good holster for sitting. Here is a list of some of the best holsters for sitting in a car:
- The Blackhawk Serpa CQC Holster is designed to fit securely on your waistband or belt, and it features a unique locking mechanism that keeps your firearm secure when driving. It also enables a rapid and easy sketch.
- The Tulster Profile Holster is an ideal choice for sitting in a car because of its low profile design, which is both comfortable and convenient to wear. It also has ride height and cant angle adjustments to provide a comfortable fit.
- The Alien Gear ShapeShift 4.0 IWB Holster features adjustable cant and ride height provide a tailored fit, while the neoprene backing provides all-day comfort.
- The StealthGearUSA VG2 Holster is meant to be worn at 12 o'clock, making it a perfect choice when sitting in a car. It has a simple design, adjustable retention, and a low profile for maximum concealment.
- The Tulster IWB Profile holster has an adjustable cant angle for a custom fit.
- The ambidextrous PHLster Floodlight can be worn AIWB or strong-side IWB using the included soft loops or clips. Reduced, lower-profile ergonomic molding improves comfort in multiple carry positions and provides an ideal attachment point for an aftermarket ergonomic wedge.
This redditor recommends AIWB for driving and is a fan of the Floodlight holster.
Seated CCW FAQ
Can you sit with a concealed carry holster?
Yes, you can sit with a holster. Having a comfortable concealed carry holster that allows you to sit for a long time can be a game changer when it comes to carrying while at work or when you’re driving.
What is the best concealed carry position for sitting down?
There are plenty of ways that you can conceal carry a firearm while sitting that allow easy access if a situation were to occur. Some of the best concealed carry positions for sitting are appendix, strong side (IWB or OWB), shoulder holster, and chest holster.
What is the most comfortable concealed carry holster?
Some of the most comfortable concealed carry holsters are:
- Pocket holster
- Belly band holster
- IWB holster
- Ankle holster
- OWB holster
What is the safest holster position?
The safest holster position is one that provides adequate trigger guard coverage and prevents unintentional trigger access while holstered. Some consider the appendix carry position to be the safest because the firearm is pointed away from the body and away from vital organs.
Is it uncomfortable to concealed carry?
Concealed carry can be uncomfortable for some people, especially if they are not used to wearing a firearm or do not have the proper holster and clothing. However, with the right equipment and practice, many people discover that they can carry comfortably and without difficulty. It is critical to find a comfortable holster and clothing that allow easy access to your firearm, as well as to practice carrying in various positions to determine which works best for you. Also, regular physical activity and exercise can assist you in developing the strength and endurance required to carry for extended periods of time.
And, of course, our holster pad can make any concealed carry more comfortable.
Can you sit down with an appendix holster?
Yes, you can sit with an appendix holster. It's critical to ensure the holster is comfortable and securely holds the firearm in place, especially while sitting. Some people prefer appendix carry while sitting, while others prefer other positions, such as hip or back carry.
Are paddle holsters good options for concealed carry IWB?
Paddle holsters are typically not recommended for concealed carry IWB due to their bulky design and lack of stability when worn inside the waistband. They are better suited for open carry or range use where comfort and concealment are not priorities.
What are the different types of holsters?
The main types of holsters are:
- Inside the waistband holster
- Outside the waistband holster
- Pocket holsters
- Shoulder holster
- Ankle holster
- Belly band holster
What is the difference between hybrid and KYDEX holsters?
The main difference between hybrid and KYDEX holsters is that hybrid holsters feature a leather or synthetic backing and a KYDEX shell, while KYDEX holsters are made entirely of KYDEX. Hybrid holsters often offer greater comfort due to the softer backing material, while KYDEX holsters can provide better retention and a slimmer profile. With a KYDEX holster, you have a molded scabbard that is attached to your gun belt with a clip. This makes for a very low profile and is easy to remove and replace when needed.
What does "optic ready" mean?
Optic ready refers to firearms that are designed to accommodate various types of red dot sights, which can be mounted on the slide of the gun for improved accuracy and faster target acquisition.
What are the benefits of using a leather gun belt for concealed carry?
Leather gun belts are long-lasting and provide extra support for your holster and firearm, ensuring that they stay in place and don't shift or move around during everyday use.
Are shoulder rigs a good option for concealed carry?
Shoulder rigs can be a good option for concealed carry, especially if you need to carry a larger firearm or have back issues that make carrying a holster on your waistband difficult. They are, however, more difficult to conceal and can limit your range of motion.
What is a drop-leg holster?
A drop leg holster attaches to a thigh platform or drop leg harness and allows you to carry your firearm in a lower position than traditional waistband holsters. They are frequently used by law enforcement and military personnel.
Why is it important to carry spare magazine carriers with you?
Carrying spare magazine carriers with you can provide you with extra ammunition and assist you in quickly reloading in an emergency. It can also be useful in the event of a firearm malfunction.
What is the best subcompact pistol for concealed carry?
The best subcompact pistols for concealed carry include the Glock 43, Sig Sauer P365, and the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield.
What is the importance of protecting the trigger on your firearm?
Protecting the trigger on your firearm is critical for preventing accidental discharges and ensuring safe handling. Holsters and trigger guards are intended to protect the trigger from any outside objects that could cause it to discharge.
How important is the specific gun model when choosing a holster?
Choose a holster designed for your gun model, since holsters are designed to fit specific firearms. Choosing a holster that is incompatible with your gun model can lead to a dangerous and uncomfortable carry experience.
What are the benefits of a gun safe?
A gun safe provides a secure and protected storage space for your firearms, preventing unauthorized access and theft. It also keeps your guns out of reach of children and other unauthorized users. Additionally, a gun safe can help preserve the condition of your firearms by protecting them from environmental factors like humidity, dust, and debris. Some insurance companies also offer discounts on homeowner's insurance policies if you have a gun safe.